Discover the Kenyan way of life while staying with your host family. Ambassadors will have the opportunity to discover Kenya accompanied by locals that love sharing their culture and showing their country. In Kenya, you come as a stranger and you leave as a friend!
Home Hospitality provided by the Friendship Force club of Nairobi.
Live With a Local
- Visit a children's orphanage/school and bring a smile to the children’s faces.
- Discover and taste the best local food with the advice of your new local friends and hosts.
- Visit the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage located near Nairobi National Park. This an orphanage for grown-up orphaned elephants, calves, and rhinos from all over Kenya.
- Visit the Kazuri beads factory, which provides employment opportunities for disadvantaged members of Kenyan society, especially single mothers.
- Discover the rich heritage of Kenya, in the both the capital city of Nairobi and in Mombasa, a coastal city and the second largest in the country.
- Fort Jesus
- Tour of Mombasa Old Town
- Bamburi Nature Trail
- Nairobi city tour
- Kiambethu Tea Farm
- View the Great Rift Escarpment
- Shopping at Village Market
We all made good friends with our hosts and hope to be able to see them again! - Previous ambassador
8 Days / 7 Nights Program and Itinerary:
November 2, 2018 – November 9, 2018
Coordinator: Shirley Hauck, FF Whidbey Island
All Friendship Force Itineraries are subject to change.
Nov. 2, 2018
Hosts pick ambassadors from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport
Nov. 3, 2018
Stop at the Forex Bureau to change money
Day with host family
Nov. 4, 2018
Arrival at the railway station for trains to Mombasa
Arrival in Mombasa and enjoy a free afternoon
Nov. 5, 2018
Leave for Fort Jesus Tour
Tour of Mombasa Old Town
Back to the hotel
Ambassadors could choose to take a ride out into the ocean in a glass boat, play a game of volleyball at the beach or in the swimming pool,
or take a beach walk
Nov. 6, 2018
Visit to SOS Children orphanage school
Ride on the ferry connecting Mombasa Island and Mainland (optional)
Tour historical Old Mombasa Town
Bamburi Nature Trail (choice)
Back to the hotel
Nov. 7, 2018
Train to Nairobi
Lunch in town and city tour
Time with host family
Nov. 8, 2018
Ambassadors dropped at Capital Centre
Tour of Kiambethu Tea Farm
View the Great Rift Escarpment
Shopping at Village Market
Nov. 9, 2018
David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage
Kazuri (Home to Ten Thousand Villages) Beads Factory
Lunch at Utamaduni (Cultural) Restaurant
Hosts take ambassadors home
OPTIONAL: Nov. 10 to 15, 2018
OPTIONAL SAFARI EXTENSION
Six days Amboseli, Aberdares, Lake Nakuru, and Masai Mara
The cost of the extension is $1049 USD per person.
Contact the Journey Coordinator for a complete itinerary.
$1045 USDPrice Includes: FFI and host fees, transfer upon arrival, five-night homestay, welcome & farewell parties, return train fares from Nairobi to Mombasa, three nights double-occupancy in a five-star hotel (local rating) in Mombasa, two lunches in Mombasa, drinking water throughout, and visits and activities as per the itinerary.
Know before you go
- Journey Number 14266
- There is an optional post-Journey Safari extension (Nov. 10 to 15, 2018) that includes six days Amboseli, Aberdares, Lake Nakuru, and Masai Mara with full-board (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) in hotels and luxury camp (large walk-in tents). Single room in Mombasa and during the safari available for a supplement. The cost of the extension is $1049 USD per person. Contact the Journey Coordinator for more information.
- Climate: In November temperatures in Kenya are tropical, with around 23°C (74°F) during the day. In Mombasa, for example, this can rise to a hot 30°C (86°F) and then dip to about 20°C (68°F) at night. The Indian Ocean will be very tempting at this time with an average temperature of 27°C (81°F). The weather in Kenya in November also produces very high humidity, so carry a bottle of cool water with you outside during the day.
- Visa: Depending on your nationality or country of origin, you may need to apply for and get a visa before visiting Kenya. It is important that you do so immediately upon making the decision to travel, and that you make sure your visa does not expire during your travel. You can apply for and get a Kenya visa from your nearest Kenyan embassy or consulate.
- Packing: Remember that Kenya has a tropical climate. You should prepare yourself for a wide variety of conditions that may include dust, and wet, hot and/or cool weather.
Friendship Force International provides opportunities to explore new countries and cultures from the inside by bringing people together at the personal level. Through the signature program of home hospitality, local hosts welcome international visitors into their culture, sharing with them meals, conversation, and the best sights and experiences of their region.